Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Blogging with Math Students

I just started a classroom blog with my Algebra students. We have only done it this week, but I am very excited about the process and goal. I am having one student at the end of each class write a summary about what we completed for the day. They then have to write what was collected that day in class and what was for homework. I have decided to do this blog with these students because I find that they often do not internalize what we are learning and what is being asked of them. I thought by completing this blog that they would have to think about what we did today, not just things we do, but concepts we learned or talked about. This is very important for these students because they also need practice writing about math. I also like the blog because I have linked it to my website so that parents can be informed about what is happening on a day to day basis. So far I plan on giving a lot of help the first time the students are blogging. After that I am hoping they will take off on their own and be able to write about the class and really think about the math lesson that was presented. This is my biggest goal and I will hopefully have a better understanding if that is being achieved in about a month or so. Wish me luck! and the students!

4 comments:

  1. I think that this is a great idea for this class. Not only are the students going to have a greater responsibility but more of an ownership of their learning. It is also great that they are participating in a blogging experience. I wish that I had started a blog prior to this class. (Definitely behind the times!) Good luck with this! I am sure that you will get great success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Amanda! I think this is a great idea. That you will help them get it off the ground will be reassuring to them and help them to know just what you expect. I also like that you are linking it to your website so that parents can view the blog, too. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! I hope they like it. I think it's a great idea to introduce these tools to your students and have them try some things on their own, and hopefully it's something they'll continue to use in college, personal lives, or in their chosen professions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda, Hadn't had a chance to read this blog til now. I love your idea and feel this would be very useful for my class as well. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete