Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Solar System Projects! Awesome!

I spent today working with Voice Thread with a third grade classroom. I would say that about 1/3 of the students were able to handle voice thread on their own and the others used the assistance of myself and the other teacher. I was so proud of this. The students wrote great facts about the solar system and the planet they chose and then recorded their voice. It was amazing to see how this project benefited all the children. Not only did the good readers excel, but the students that struggled were able to listen to their voice and practice saying their words correctly. The students were so excited for their projects and worked so well. I was happy to see the outcome! I have really enjoyed working with these students for the past week. However, I must say that we had a few technological issues with Voice Thread. I believe it may have been because too many students were accessing it at the same time, however we started doing it in stations calling students up one at a time for our assistance. This worked really well and I was even able to watch one student record his sentence, listen to it back, realize it didn't sound correctly and fix his grammar. What a learning experience!! Today was a great day and I would love to work on tech projects everyday with a classroom like this, such a rewarding experience. Check out one of the voice threads from a student that did this completely by themselves:

6 comments:

  1. Good! I'm glad you had a good experience with it - I'm sure the teachers loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda...it is interesting to see that our school is not the only school that has an issue when there are multiple users trying to access web based projects! What a headache, huh? I am so happy for you that the project worked out great for you. I look forward to chatting with you this week to see what other great things you did at the Elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you really enjoy working with the young students and teaching technology. I love going into class everyday and teaching in a computer lab. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really impressed with how great this student's voice thread came out! I miss working with the Elementary students!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda - Congratulations on a job well done! You are correct about an extra pair of hands and technology projects....they really help! I haven't experienced web access issues, and last year I was on a T-1. I do know that after awhile the cookies VoiceThread uses tends to confuse the situation, Random things start to happen, like slides move, etc. Usually I delete the cookies & private data, restart browser (I use Firefox) and that seems to resolve the issue!

    ReplyDelete